Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mrs. Escalier, Janis Gallagher's Mother

This beautiful woman is the mother of Janis Gallagher. Her grandson, Andrew is the next painting down - so be sure to read the post concerning his painting. If you go through the archives you will also find the first of the Gallagher family portraits, sister Allison. I hope I am not finished with this fine family yet! They have all been truly a joy to work with as well as (and especially as) paint! If you note a sound of excitement in my typing - you are right. They have all been "easy" to paint - for some odd reason. I have trials and tribulations usually but the karma must be working for myself and the Gallaghers. We are even contemplating a family portrait since my luck or karma or whatever seems to be working so well so far!

Now to the grand painting of one of my favorite senior citizens - Janis' Mom. Janis wanted a tribute to her Mother at the age of 80 - a special birthday present. Her mother's smile comes from way down inside - she is a joy to be around, and of course her family adores her. The idea of a small portrait came to mind. We decided to look through some family pictures and paint her at a wee younger age - (mine to be almost exact) I usually take my own pictures and paint from those or life. The picture we found just happened to have great one source lighting and showed all of what I needed to see. The bonus is - I already had gotten to know her some through the painting of her two grandchildren, Allison and Andrew - so that helps me a lot.

I think it fell together nicely and it was presented to her at her birthday party - then returned to me for the varnishing months later. She was pleased as well as the family. I loved every minute of this painting - especially those electric eyes and warm, inviting smile. She is wonderful!!

No comments: